The meme, courtesy of Sundry.
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Being incapacitated by a migraine. Having a CAT scan of my head. Grad school.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
It seems that my news years resolution last year was to buy more shoes. You would think that would be an easy resolution to keep, but the only shoes I bought for myself were replacements for worn out pairs, and some slippers. I’m obviously not doing this right.
In a total cliche move, I think this years resolution is going to have something to do with taking care of my carcass better.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Katylady had a beautiful little boy, and my co-worker had her little girl.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Some of AB’s family members passed away, and one of my co-workers. I wouldn’t say any of them were close to me, but they were close to people I care about.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
Maybe a bit more job satisfaction.
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
December 18th: Got a new job.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Deciding to do something about my mental health, and following through.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not taking as good a care of my physical health as I did my mental health.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
My back has continued to be an issue, and I had one doozie of a bout with the flu. I also started having pretty severe migraines.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A new car. I did not realize how bad of shape my car was in until I started driving the new one.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
All the people of southern Alberta – and Canada. After the floods, the way they all came together was just incredible.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Congress. Rob Ford. The Quebec premier.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
That moment after a final is done, when you’re just overrun with relief.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I could have done a better job of some of my freelance work. And used the time I had to educate myself more about career related things.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I wish it were possible to sleep less.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Quietly at our own house. AB was sick, so I nursed him some. I finished up a puzzle, and I prepped for my trip to Canada the next day.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
Not with anyone/thing new.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate is always a pointless emotion.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Probably Vampire Weekend.
26. What did you want and get?
A new car.
27. What did you want and not get?
To travel outside the country. Or inside even. School made it hard to travel, and I miss it, desperately.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I really liked Ender’s Game.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 37 on my last birthday. I went to my in-laws house for the day, and had a lovely time with them all.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Immeasurably? I was actually pretty satisfied with this year, in the end.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Button downs. Cardigans. Big necklaces.
32. What kept you sane?
Without a doubt, medication.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
The mayor of Calgary, Naheed Nenshi.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
This is embarrassing to admit, but I didn’t pay much attention to politics this year. I know that means that I’m privileged not to have to worry about them, but between work, freelance, and school I didn’t have much energy left to fight battles that seemed fruitless.
35. Who did you miss?
My family. My grandparents. My far away friends.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
A few of my classmates have turned out to be really great. I need to work harder to make sure I keep up with them.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
Look after yourself. It’s a gift to yourself, and to the people who love you.
One Year Ago Today: I’m so glad he was there for me when I needed him.