The meme, courtesy of Sundry.
1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
Became a trainer at my new job. Got called up and served on jury duty. Did a sleep study. Got a graduate degree. Put a pet down.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did not keep my resolution. I did not look after myself.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friend from my old job gave birth to twin girls at the beginning of the year.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
AB’s uncle passed away unexpectedly. My little Leeloo.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
Time to read anything other than a textbook. More travel. More memorable expereinces.
7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 8th: Started a new job.
April 19th: Led Google all over campus for a day, and ended up all over the Street View of the school. Also got a horrible sunburn.
December 5th: Put my cat down.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finishing my graduate degree.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Once again, not looking after myself very well. It was a stressful year, and I just let some things slide so that I could survive the rest.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Mostly just the ramifications of putting too much stress and strain on my joints.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A whole bunch of Fluevog shoes that fit me. They make me happy.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Notorious R.B.G (otherwise known as U.S Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg) and her dissent of the Hobby Lobby decision.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The police forces in many cities.
14. Where did most of your money go?
A good chunk went to the vet trying to find out what was wrong with my cat.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I didn’t anticipate getting excited about attending my commencement ceremony, but everyone who saw me that day said I was grinning like a fool. Those kinds of events always make me happy because everyone there is so happy. It’s infectious.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Sadder.
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter.
c) richer or poorer? About the same.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Left my house more. Gone outside more.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Buying shoes online in the wrong sizes – over and over.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas was spent at my parent’s house. My sister & brother and their families slept over the night before, and we were treated to the chaos of a child’s Christmas morning.
21. Did you fall in love in 2014?
With Pop-tarts and Cocoa Puffs. It’s an unhealthy love.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
I really enjoyed “Selfie” and I’m sad it was cancelled.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate is always a pointless emotion.
24. What was the best book you read?
Most of what I read this year – that wasn’t textbooks – was YA fantasy. Light reading to say the least. I just didn’t have the energy to do any heavy reading, or even much non-school reading at all. So the best book of this year? I guess The Girl with all the Gifts has stuck with me more than the rest.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
This was not a great musical discovery year for me. I basically just plugged into the latest pop music, and used it as a background distraction. Or I enjoyed the silence.
26. What did you want and get?
I just really really wanted to finish school. And I did!
27. What did you want and not get?
An answer to the question “So now that you’re done school, what are you going to do?”
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Without a doubt I loved “Guardians of the Galaxy”.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 38 on my last birthday. AB and I spent the day just puttering around town and relaxing at home. It was a nice day.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Getting to see more of my people. Travelling more. Just getting out more.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
Anything that still fits plus Fluevogs.
32. What kept you sane?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The ongoing battles about net neutrality kept me engaged for most of the year. The impact that not having free and equal access to the greatest collection of humanity’s knowledge would have on people around the U.S. would be terrible.
35. Who did you miss?
I miss my Leeloo so much. I missed my family a lot – I was home in Canada less this year than any year in the last decade. I missed all my friends who live far away beacause I got to see so few of them.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
My new coworkers are pretty awesome. I’m looking forward to doing good work with them.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
Just keep swimming, and you can get amazing things done.
One Year Ago Today: That moment after a final is done, when you’re just overrun with relief.